Ramble On

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

It's Okay to Like Nick Lowe



Mary, good friends James and Chris, and I ventured down to the Birchmere last night to catch one of my all-time favorite artists, Nick Lowe, who's on a short US tour with a band right now.  The show features his excellent late work, and even includes a couple of songs that haven't yet been released - and woven in are a few classics that are absolute musts.

I kept a playlist, but I know I missed one song from the three songs he opened solo with, and there were a few on the list I've got to go back and get titles for.  So I will post that, but it will be a few days.
He's brought a great band with him on the road, featuring Geraint Watkins (keyboards), Robert Trehern (drums), Johnny Scott (guitar) and Matt Radford (bass).  Watkins performed as an opening act, and there were some in the crowd that were familiar with his work.  A highlight was his dramatic reading of the lyrics to Johnny B. Good - followed by a boogie-woogie piano version of the classic.

As I mentioned, Nick's tour is promoting three albums that were recently re-released - they've even been released on vinyl now for the first time, as that format makes a come back.  The records are The Impossible Bird, Dig My Mood, and The Convincer, and songs in the show included Lack of Love, Has She Got a Friend, and a personal favorite (Mary sang along), Indian Queens.

Midway through Indian Queens, Nick pointed out something about the song, "You know I made this song up," just before the part about working the rigs off Galveston.

By my count, there were 19 songs in the almost two hour show.  Some past favorites that made it into the playlist were Ragin' Eyes, Heart, Cruel to Be Kind, and I Knew the Bride (When She Used to Rock n Roll).  Of course, What's So Funny (about Peace, Love and Understanding) was the closer, and then we got Every Day I Write the Book in the encore.

It was a great show, and even geezers like myself got out early enough to not miss bed time.  If anything, my status of a fan was solidified seeing Old Nick live.

No comments: