Ramble On

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Are you gonna eat that?

Yesterday I posted about our trip to Valley Star Farms, today I have a few more photos to share from that visit.  By the time I finish this post, we could officially call October "Winter Squash Month" here on  the Hawksbill Cabin blog.

We bought a few smaller, decorative squashes while we were there.  I've since learned that you can eat these if you prepare them properly - I never would have guessed, since they are so hard, and I don't expect to try it.  We also bought a couple of larger varieites...a Long Island Cheese, the pale orange one, and a Turban, the bright orange one.  As is tradition, Mary made a tableau to display them while I search for recipes.

Two highlights I should point out:  the pottery collection comes from a variety of mid-Atlantic and southeast craftspeople, including some from the "Jugtown" disctrict in North Carolina; and the print here (featuring Page County Beef!) comes from local artist Wes Porter.

For the rest of the post, I thought I'd add a few close-ups of some of the other pumpkin varieties Valley Star has for sale, including Cinderella and "orange warty thing."




No comments: