Ramble On

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Summer Surprise #2

These flowers are called Bee Balm, and they were in bloom the first time we came up to the Hawksbill Cabin with a realtor. So I pay close attention to them every year, making sure that we'll have plenty of them.

I'd never seen them before we found them in the yard, next to the old storage shed (you can see the original stone portion of the house in the background, the windows are along the back wall over the kitchen and dining room area). Since I found them, I keep an eye out for them, and I've seen them growing wild (more likely naturalized) up in Shenandoah National Park, and recently in a big arrangement in the DuPont Circle area of DC.

I took this photo on the day I was checking out the hostas (my Monday morning post), and as I came around the corner of the house there was a humming bird working them over. Apparently this plant is a favorite for them.

No comments: