Ramble On

Friday, July 17, 2009

A Night at Shenandoah Speedway

Mary couldn’t join me at the Hawksbill Cabin last weekend; she had deadlines of her own to work on. So I was left on my own to try and get some writing done (I am having a horrible time getting a proposal done right now, total writer’s block – yet I still seem to be able to blog daily).
So on my own, I took off for the two short hikes I wrote about earlier this week. I checked in with Howard and the gang at Evergreen Outfitters – looking into catching a Wranglers game – but the team was on a road trip and wouldn’t be back until the next weekend.
I was settling into the thought of getting take out (from Momma Mia in Shenandoah), and sitting on the brick terrace with a fire, when I remembered we have racing in Page County, so I went down to Shenandoah Speedway (http://www.shenandoahspeedway.com/ ) to check it out.
This facility is just north of the town of Shenandoah along US 340. Massanutten Mountain – in fact, the motto is “Where the mountain roars!” – and Mary and I have been trying to take in a race for a while. I was sorry she missed it.

NASCAR this isn’t – it’s more of a minor league affair. But there is plenty of entertainment value to be had. The night I went, there were no less than six races on the “Fan Run Down:”
· INEX Legends (the two photos here) – 25 laps
· SVSRL Mini Cups – 25 laps
· UCARS – 30 laps
· Sportsman – 20 laps
· Street Stock – 30 laps
· Late Models – 75 laps
I sat down with a chili cheese dog and an ice cold Bud and enjoyed myself, from a seat right in front of the winner’s circle and the flagman tower.

We’re going to have to work on the ball game, but the summer season is only two months long (it is well covered by this blog: http://allthingsvalleyleague.typepad.com/, and it’s over by August. The town of Luray really turns out for the games, and we want to check it out. Mary also tells me she wants to check out the races…that’s a new one on me, but I am game for going back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Turner: We would love to see you attend a Luray Wranglers game!!

Jimmy Mays
Official Scorekeeper
Sometimes Internet Broadcaster

posumcop@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Jimmy:

I have nothing but poor excuses for not getting to a game so far.

I see from the schedule that I have two opportunities left, next Saturday 7/25 when New Market is in town, and one on 7/30 when H-burg is in town (planning on a 40day weekend then).

So I'll do my best!

Thanks for the comment and interest.

Jim