Ramble On

Saturday, November 22, 2008

This Ain't the Mud Club, or CBGB



I was delighted to find that my CD copy of the new Brian Eno/David Byrne collaboration had arrived in the mail yesterday.

With my own copies of the new songs, I burned a playlist in honor of this year’s show (see post from November 10)…I had to pick up a few MP3s from Amazon to do it, although I have nearly everything on vinyl (from the ‘80’s, of course!). There are a few live versions and a couple of re-records tossed in to spice it up.

Interestingly, one of the tunes from the show – “Never Thought” – didn’t make it onto the new album, so I replaced it with “Home.” Because I had extra room on the CD, I added “Naïve Melody” – in honor of our comment contributors Brian and Susan.

The 21 tracks on this playlist come from 8 LPs: Everything that Happens will Happen Today, The Name of this Band is Talking Heads, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts (2005 re-release), Remain in Light, The Complete Score from The Catherine Wheel, The Best of the Talking Heads, Fear of Music, and More Songs about Buildings and Food.

As I was purchasing “My Big Hands” off of The Catherine Wheel soundtrack, it brought back a memory of taking the Neukölln (a borough of Berlin – Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuk%C3%B6lln) bus over to the Zip Records store when it first came out. That store was on Karl Marx Strasse, but I missed the stop and rode all the way to the end. The driver let me slide on the fare on the way back, and made sure I got out in the right place.

Here’s the full playlist:

-Strange Overtones
-I Zimbra
-One Fine Day
-Help Me Somebody
-Houses in Motion
-My Big Nurse
-My Big Hands
-Heaven
-Home
-The River
-Crosseyed and Painless
-Life is Long
-Once in A Lifetime
-Life During Wartime
-I Feel My Stuff
-Take Me to the River
-The Great Curve
-Air
- Burning Down the House
-Everything That Happens
-Naïve Melody (This Must be the Place)

3 comments:

Brian McGowan said...

Jim:

Yay! I get another shout out on your blog (or was the Brian you referred to "Brian Eno"?).

"Naïve Melody (This Must be the Place)" is still one of my favourite TH songs (you used to call it "the pretty song", if I'm not misremebering*).

*(This is an actual word, even though it sounds absurd. Roger Clemens used it this year in his Congressional hearing interview about ten times.)

Brian McGowan said...

Jim:

This was posted to me on the Red Sox Fan Forum Message board and I had to share it:

http://www.problogger.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/let-your-blog-go.jpg

Do not let this happen to you...

Unknown said...

That's a fat cat. Is it alive?

No, the shout out was to you, bud!