Ramble On

Monday, November 10, 2008

DC David Byrne Show - 11/9


I planned to wait a few days to post about the David Byrne show Mary and I saw last (Sunday) night. I wanted to get the playlist and see if he posted about it on his blog.

It's clear there were a lot of life-long fans at the show, which was at the Warner Theatre downtown, in DC. Life-long for some, anyway: Byrne has been performing for 30 years, and a good share of the music in this performance dates collaborations with Brian Eno that took place in '77-'80.

I found the photo here on-line someplace, and here is the playlist from Byrne's site:


SET LIST: Strange overtones, I Zimbra, One fine day, Help Me somebody, Houses in Motion, My Big Nurse, My Big hands, Heaven, Never Thought, The River, Crosseyed & Painless, Life is long, Once in Lifetime, Life During Wartime, I Feel my Stuff...Encores: Take me to the River, The Great Curve, Air, Burning Down the House, Everything that Happens


It was a great show - the music is just fantastic, the ensemble has been on the road a few months now so they are perfect, and he's added dancers to the show, so some of the songs are choreographed. Although I don't remember the song, in one case the dancers and musicians all sat in office chairs - there was something you'd call dancing going on. And in another, actually during Once in a Lifetime, the dancers did a lot of the famous moves from the video. So they added something, helped make it a good show even though Byrne can hold his own.

And everybody got up to dance once he got into the stretch beginning with Crosseyed and Painless. Everybody.

By luck, as we were finding our seats, we walked past the balcony bar and ran into old friends Felice and Dave, and Kelly and Tom. Felice and I have been friends for a long time, since my Berlin days, and Kelly used to lead us all in group outings to see the Mekons whenever they were in town...good to happen upon them. We agreed to meet after the show and went over to the JW Marriott for a post-show refreshment...sort of like old times.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the playlist. We missed the first song and I wondered what it was. DB shows always break my heart because there are so many of his songs I love, too many for a concert. Sunday I kept waiting for Nothing but Flowers, And She Was, I Want to Dance with Somebody, Stay Up Late, Wild Wild Life, Girlfriend is Better. Ah well, take what we can get.

Unknown said...

Glad to know someone else was interested in the playlist as I was...those songs you listed are great, but weren't part of the Eno collaborations. I think that Byrne did those in the last two tours...so maybe again in a couple of years.

Unknown said...

Getting back to the previous comment, just checked Byrne's website and there is a release of "Live from Austin, Texas" out there that includes many of these songs. I may pick up the MP3s from Amazon, myself.

minger78 said...

Jim, I checked out DB's journal on the right there and although I didn't get into the 11-09 entry, I got a kick out of the 11-07 entry, especially the email from Senegal and Fallingwater. I've always wanted to go back to Chi-town and spend more time in FL Wright's house as well as visit Fallingwater.

Unknown said...

I'll join you if we can pick up a Cubs game, a Sox game, etc. - like last time we went!