|Selfie on one of the first 75 @ 75 hikes to|
- Hike 1 - Bluff Trail/AT, mile post 17.6, distance 12.8 miles, altitude change 2,400. Includes two summits and some views, and about 5 miles on the AT.
- Hike 2 - Piney Branch/Piney Ridge, mile post 22.1, distance 8.3 miles, altitude change 1,700 feet. This one includes a mountain cemetery, old homesite, stream crossings, and a small waterfall.
- Hike 3 - Knob Mountain/Jeremy’s Run, mile post 24.1 (at the Elk Wallow Wayside), two versions either 11.7 or 14.0 miles, elevation from 2,600 to 2,800 feet. There’s a stream with cascades and a falls, and a summit.
- Hike 4 - Hazel
Mountain, mile post 33.5, distance 5.3 miles and elevation change 1,070
feet (the easiest on this list!). No
summit here, but it is interesting for a combination of a falls, cascade, and a
small cave. Depending on when we go,
maybe no spelunking – the snake scene in True Grit still creeps me out.
Staircase on the Hazel Mountain trail.
- Hike 5 - Pocosin Mission and South River Falls, mile post 59.5, distance 8.5 miles and elevation 1,800 feet. This combines the ruin of an old cabin and mission, and then takes in the South River Falls, which was one of Chris’s and my main training hikes for the Half Dome a few years ago.
- Hike 6 - Black Rock/Trayfoot Mountain Loop, mile post 84.8 or 87.4, distance approximately 10.0 miles and unestimated altitude change. This trail is shown on one of the Park’s maps, which include distances but not altitudes. This will take in the rock scramble at Black Rock, an old fire observation point on Trayfoot Mountain, and the hollow where the Black Rock Springs Hotel was located in the late 1800’s.
- Hike 7 - Riprap Hollow and Wildcat Ridge, mile post 90.0, 9.8 miles and 2,400 feet. Includes the two Civil War lookout points Chimney Rock and Cavalry Rock, 3 miles of AT section, cascades and a falls.
- Bonus Hike (8): Hannah Run and Hot-Short Mountain, mile post 35.1, 9.1 miles and 2,800 feet. This one includes ruins of mountaineer cabins and a stream.