Ramble On

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Everything but the Oink

The pigs are here.

A few weeks back, when I first started the internship at Public House Produce, David mentioned the pigs.  He raises a few hogs each year, and invited me and Mary to sponsor one. 

For the record, cute as they are, they are not pets.  I want to be very respectful, and clear, about this.  That's why I have asked to name mine "Pork Chop." 

Because, come February...well, I think the point is made.

I had a good time at the farm on Tuesday watching them settling in.  David had them in the goat stall for the night, and this morning after some tinkering with the electric fence, put them out in their new pasture for the first time.  In fact, here's a video of the happy moment.


Soon as they got outside, they checked out the spoilt produce for a bit, then they took note of the chickens and goats.  They followed some of the chickens around the yard, then they followed the goats.  Then they started rooting around the produce, and then, well, all kinds of pig fun was being had.

I'll post some updates from time to time, especially once we know which one is Pork Chop.  Out of respect for them, I won't share videos of the processing, although David tells me to expect to have an active role in that. 

I figure, what the hey - I've already had the fecal dust experience at the farm, what's a little viscera going to hurt?

No comments: