Ramble On

Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Agribusiness Internship - some clarifications from Week 1

Many readers know that I am spending some time in the Valley and have been keeping myself occupied with an “Agribusiness Internship” over at Public House Produce. I wrote a couple of posts last week, one about the Shenandoah Valley Produce Auction over in Dayton, and a second about some cows I met in a nearby pasture. David read them, and offered some additional insight – or corrections, as the case may be – on Facebook, which I’ll share below.


"… glad to have you along and looking forward to a couple of more days shooting the breeze as well. One additional note about the Shenandoah Valley Produce Auction: While they do not run a live auction through the winter, products are still distributed to larger purchasers throughout the winter. Institutional consumers like D.C. Central Kitchen buy things like hydroponic lettuce, potatoes and other root crops all winter long through the auction. My good friend Ray Lynn Showalter told me that the auction did not miss a week providing produce to consumers who needed it last year."

"…despite being there first hand I am really enjoying the reading. One slight correction, Barb is no longer a heifer. She has matured to full cow status, lol. FYI I am leaving shortly to deliver tomatoes to the produce auction (350 lbs). I am delivering this evening for tomorrow afternoon's sale. As you know Fridays are difficult for me to get away from the farm."

(Note: following up on David’s second comment, I looked up the definition of ‘heifer’ on Wikipedia, and confirmed that Bard is indeed a cow. A heifer is defined as a young cow before she has had her first cow.)

No comments: