Meanwhile, here on Hawksbill Cabin, I have been looking for a map of the major concentrations of poulty farms around the state. Here is some 2009 data I found about the industry in the Shenandoah Valley on http://www.vapoultry.com/:
- Approximately 550 chicken farms
- Approximately 280 turkey farms
- Approximately $80,000,000 in grower pay
- 6 poultry processing companies (Cargill, George’s Foods, Pilgrim’s Pride Corporation, Perdue Farms, Tyson Foods and Virginia Poultry Growers Cooperative, Inc) employ more than 6,000 people.
- Indirectly supports approximately 43,200 related jobs outside of the poultry industry, many within the Shenandoah Valley
- 5 poultry company feed mills produce more than 1,500,000 tons of poultry feed annually
It proposed Harrisonburg as the optimal location, based on haul distances ranging from 64 to 185 miles - from locations scattered around the state in all directions. So there is a precedent for this location and there is a longer term context for the feasibility study.
We'll keep you posted.