Ramble On

Friday, March 18, 2011

Tech-watch Geek: The Suunto Core Everest Extreme (Again)

A short follow-up post on the Suunto Core Extreme Edition Everest watch that I reviewed in December (link to the original post at the end of this one)-


Last week, I stopped by one of the outfitters near my office, Eastern Mountain Sports, where I saw that they had one of the watches on display. They actually have a selection of 20 or so watches, along with other technical gear of that type. I asked the clerk to let me take a look, and so I have these photos to share.


First, a look at the watch face, bezel, and band: there is a high-viz orange finish on the bezel that makes this an attractive watch, and typical of the Suunto Core, the LCD display makes reading key data easy. Then on the reverse, there is the signature reproduced from Apa Sherpa, who has summated Everest 20 times and whom Suunto honored with this watch – this signature appears on all 8,800+ copies of this limited edition.

Looks nice…I remain sorely tempted!

As far as price goes, the outfitter had it at the recommended retail price of $399. Amazon, linked below, has it for slightly less (a couple of used watches are offered there at around $300).  I've found a couple of other vendors pricing it at the list of $399...a portion of the sales price benefits the remote village near the Everest Base Camp, so I wouldn't expect any discounts on this limited edition...Happy shopping!




Here is the link to my original post on the Suunto Core Everest Extreme edition:

http://hawksbillcabin.blogspot.com/2010/12/tech-watch-geek-suunto-core-extreme.html

No comments: