Ramble On

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Battle of the Species (Carpenter Bees): The Plan for 2009

At the Hawksbill Cabin, spring means the return of carpenter bees. These bees are the reason we started the whole "Battle of the Species" category...even though we've also talked about snakes, poison ivy, and beavers along the way.

So as we're beginning to think about the project list for the year (likely will post something on this later in the week), I am also remembering some of the steps I need to take to deal with carpenter bees before I see them.

First thing - get a couple more carpenter bee chambers. I trust that these things work (http://carpenterbeechamber.com/) and will be taking down the ones from last year soon (photo is of me installing a soffit mounted version last year.

Next one, go through the carpenter bee ultra-toxin spray application. This stuff is concentrated so that 6ml makes a gallon of insecticide. Professional grade...they mix up 50 gallon batches for chicken coops. Here is an action photo of Chris geared up to spray!


I'll be checking for drill holes and repairing them - the last step. There just isn't much you can do after the steps above...except to keep a badmitton or tennis racket nearby. You'll only get one at a time this way, but it is very satisfying. Here is a bee casualty photo.

There are photos of bee damage in some of the past entries (see the Carpenter Bees label). Thankfully, due to the measures we implemented, no further damage has occured. And with this planning ahead done, we're ready to give 'em hell this year too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had no idea there was such a product as the Carpenter Bee Chamber. I'm thinking about building a log house, but was worried about bees since they love to drill into my shed. My other problem is carpenter ants. Good luck with your battle this summer.