Ramble On

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

That's one 'SMART' car

While it isn't directly related to the cabin, since it is a lifestyle option, I thought I might post on the Smart Car event Chris and I attended over the weekend out in Fair Oaks.

A few years ago, when Mary and I visited Berlin, these little cars were just starting to catch on. We'd see them parked all over the Potsdamer Platz area, and saw a few of them on the road in the vicinity of Potsdamer Platz, near the Sony Center, the Mies building, and the Bauhaus Museum. (There's the blog link by the way, we have a Bauhaus Museum poster and a Mies print in the cabin.)

In any case, the city of Berlin had made a special parking provision for the cars - they were allowed to park "more than one" to a space, with a limit of 3 cars in 2 spaces. So, I thought, pretty ideal urban vehicle, as long as you're only putting 2 passengers in there, and mostly commuting or running small errands...no road trips, in other words.

After my 5 mile test drive, I'm pretty convinced that the car would work for these kinds of needs. The price points - about $17K for the cabrio/convertible - might be comfortable for those who live and work in town. The model I would consider is "nicely equipped" and runs for about $14K.

It was a pretty enthusiastic crowd all in all. The Smart website is http://www.smartusa.com/ for readers who might be interested. And the cars should start showing up on the street in the spring of 2008.

Photos - ice sculptures near the Smart exhibit, the exhibit, my Smart chaperone, and some Smarts in action.

No comments: