Ramble On

Monday, October 6, 2014

Heading to the Auction

I've been enjoying trips to the Shenandoah Valley Produce Auction for a few years now - I've tried to make it into an annual tradition, to get there at least once a year.

So when my schedule cleared up so that I could join David on his errands that would include a stop there - well, that was one good thing.  When he said it was member recognition day and there would be free pie - that's when I truly knew things were going my way last Tuesday.

So off we headed for the drive, over Massanutten and through New Market before getting onto I-81 South for Dayton.  I've been on those roads 10 or 12 times by now but I still couldn't find my way without a Smartphone maps app.

The beauty of the drive through those farms is what gets me - rolling hills planted in verdant rows of corn, the dairy cows milling about waiting for the sun to warm them up, and then all the folks heading out for the day's work in their carts or on their bikes, once you're getting closer to the auction.  I caught this photo of a couple who were likely also headed down there just as we started getting close.

Once we were at the auction, we took a stroll around to check out the offerings - small and large lots.  What's for sale there never ceases to amaze, and it makes me wonder if I couldn't grow some things on a small scale and join in the fun.

But I'd come for the pie.  There was plenty to chose from - and even though I am not a member, they were glad to serve up a slice of the coconut cream when I asked for it.  (I also enjoyed a cup of the broccoli cheese soup, which was totally local - and I left a small donation since I'm not a member of the auction.)

By the way, here's a link to the Produce Auction, in case you'd like to check it out someday:
http://svproduceauction.com/

1 comment:

posumcop said...

If you are near Dayton during the summer months you should check out a baseball game at Clover Hill. The Clover Hill Bucks play in the Rockingham County Baseball League (RCBL). The "Cloverdome" (their game field) is very unique and the game atmosphere is second to none!