Ramble On

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Chores in Red

A couple of weeks ago, my friend Marty mentioned that he'd had his first hummingbird siting of the year.  That started me thinking that we'd probably see some soon enough at Hawksbill Cabin - I still had the regular feeders up and needed to change over to hummingbird feeders.

I should note - the pool's been opened already (shout out to Uncle D's team!).  I've got some work to do down there before it is ready for swimming.  I hope to get to that next weekend.

So this weekend, as I sat enjoying my coffee on the brick terrace, wearing my red sandals, I was cheerfully greeted by a little ruby-throated hummingbird who came to check out his favorite red color, only to be disappointed that he'd found my shoes.  Or maybe that cheerful greeting was scolding...in any case, it was off to Tractor Supply for some syrup.

I was buzzed again before I got away, and then, to my surprise, I saw one of them checking out the empty seed feeder in the maple tree.  This is the same place I hang a hummingbird feeder every year - so I'm wondering if we get the same ones back every year.  I hear they are habitual creatures.

Now, when I get into Tractor Supply sometimes I can't help it and I buy something else.  Since we got the new fence I thought it might be a good idea to put some reflectors on that end post.  So I got some help to find them - they were not where I expected them and we had to cruise by the trailer hitches and light kits, but at last there they were.  I bought two, and now they are properly installed.

As I looked up from my task, I noticed the overlooked sign that is in front of the place.  Long ago, the Thompsons named the place Windward - they made a nice sign for it that the last owners replaced with this hand-chiseled one.  We've since found the old one, which we keep as an artifact in the shed.

Mary says she plans to paint in the letters soon.  Color:  Red.

No comments: