Ramble On

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pending office move - One thing I'll miss

I mentioned in my post yesterday that after four months or so in the city, my office is moving back to Clarendon, where I had been working for the first two years of my time at AECOM.  I'm glad to be headed back home with my new colleagues - but they are understandably a bit reticent about the move, having been in this ultimately convenient location for more than 15 years.

For me, any regrets about the move are going to be more about the knife and fork than about any nostalgia I feel for the space.  Even though the temp agency that gave me my first start in DC back when I first moved here was located in this building.  No, this area for me, going back 20 years now, has been all about the lunch joints.  One of them I've been able to enjoy in particular, three times since temporarily moving here, is the Greek Deli.  There is never a short lunch line at this place - the outside view is actually the shortest line I've seen here.  I was early on Tuesday - about 12:10 or so.  Once you get inside, you see how small the place is, there is a sign on the door that the wait is 5 minutes from there.

There is always the standard Greek fare available.  But I took the special once, it was ghoulash.  Excellent.  And I have a highlight photo of the special fare from the day I was here recently - although I was after a gyro, and also indulged in rice pudding.

Now I would be remiss in not mentioning some of the other options here.  Next door there is an Asian noodle place, Nooshi.  And two doors down, Luigi's.  The original Cafe Asia was on this block.  There is a place called Panang just up from here.  Around the corner, an Irish Bar.  Down the street, you can get a curry at Spice World.  If you need big meat, there is Smith and Wollensky's.  Shall I stop?

It's been an easy meeting point for a couple of dozen lunches over the years.  I hope I can continue to get over here after the move.

No comments: