Ramble On

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Mass-o'-nuthin' indeed

I told an old friend about the Massanutten "Four Seasons Resort" a while back - a friend who is a great skier and goes to the slopes in Utah and Colorado. He dubbed Massanutten mass-o'-nuthin' while we talked about it.


On Sunday we took another ride down to the little resort on the Massanutten ridge. While it is too warm in this part of Virginia to have reliable snow, they do make snow on those hills. I have some photos here to show the activities - one of the lift line and one of the "apres ski" area on the slopes.


It's not Europe, or the west, or Vermont, but it looks like fun and I'm looking forward to getting out for some winter sports there. Also, they have a snow-tube run, a groomed slope that has its own specialized lift, so even if skiing on the mild slopes at this resort is too risky, there is something to do.

Meanwhile, I am waiting for a report from my sister, who took the family to Wisp in western Maryland. The location there has more reliable winter weather, and it is near the Deep Creek Lake resort area. Hope they had fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wisp was nice and the kids really enjoyed it. I heard it was too expensive for what you get from those who are in the know about skiing. I took a lesson and basically threw $99 for the lesson, ski rental and lift ticket down the drain but I learned that I do not enjoy skiing. Maybe next time I will try snowboarding as it looks like it would be harder to wrench your knees during a fall than it is with skiing.

There was a tube slope($20 for 2 hours) and the kids decided it was not near as fun as skiing. There was also a mountain rollercoaster and that was enjoyable. The coaster cost $75 for 10 tickets. There is a $5 dollar locker rental fee and of course, food and drink are very expensive there. They don't serve alcohol on Sundays, btw, but you can get it on the other days. Also, my friend said the equipment was in better condition and more comfortable than other ski resorts, fyi.

Nancy