Ramble On

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Another Beer with @hawksbillhops

Back in November, I wrote (link) that Hawksbill Hop Yards was going to be part of an Virginia-focused brew at Stone in Richmond.

Our 2016 Cascade crop had come in right on the numbers for that variety, and we had retooled our processing so that we got the moisture exactly right - so I was excited for the chance to get them to market.

Fortunately David G. over at Piedmont Hops had put together a project with other Old Dominion Hops Co-ops growers to supply stone with 225 pounds of dried hops, and he invited us to contribute 15 pounds to the group effort.  Once he had them all, he pelletized them, taking the final processing step to make sure they were ready for use in the IPA recipe Stone was using.

Flash forward to a couple of weeks ago, and we heard the announcement that the beer had been released - not only that, it was showing up in stores.  Thanks to some friends at the office, and neighbors on a past project of mine, a case showed up at Bethesda Market - where I've been buying craft beer for years.

I moved quickly and reserved four bottles, thanks to Jay for holding them for me.  And then my friend Erin who brought them to the office so I could pick them up.

Needless to say, I'm really excited to have the chance to be part of this brew - that's part of what we got into it for!  Hopefully as our crop continues to mature, there will be more of this.

No comments: