Ramble On

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Beaver Run, in Winter

Beaver Run is the little stream that runs through the hollow south of Hawksbill Cabin.  It's part of the view from our brick terrace, although during the summer when the leaves are up we can't really see it.

Looking at the changing view in that patch of the hollow is one of my favorite past times here.  This morning when Tess and I went for a walk we stopped to take it in.

Several times over the years, we've had a family of beavers come in and make a dam.  The structure usually lasts a year or two, staying in place for a season after the family has grown up and moved on.  Finally a spring ran will come in and wash it out, which happened in 2016.


I was looking through some old photos on my phone, and as it happened, I had this old one from fall 2014.  It gives a sense of how the view can change, with the leaves freshly down and the dark greens of summer lingering on the evergreens.

The mountains visible in the background include part of Shenandoah National Park and Tanners Ridge, a development of summer cabins. When the leaves are down, sometimes I can see little firepits going up there - and I wonder if they can see mine.

That's all part of this.  I'll take it as a break from the everyday.

No comments: