|David inspected the lupulin in this Cascade cone.|
|Half of the sample for this dry mass test.|
Just like last week, I put the sample in the dehydrator and ran it for 24 hours to evaporate all the moisture away. This week, I turned the temperature up to 135 degrees, warmer than we would process them at, but I wanted to be sure to drive out all the moisture. At the end I weighed the hops to determine the dry mass.
The results were right on the money - 25 grams. So our dry mass is at 25%, in the zone, and we were ready to harvest.
|Final results of the second test - 25% dry mass!|
And that's a good thing - most of the activities related to the harvest must be scheduled in advance, and we had estimated that it would be this week. Our ShenPaCo crew was standing by, and David had the picking area set up under the barn - and the Hop-N-Ator 4000 was reassembled and ready for testing as well.
David has sent me some photos of harvest activities and I'll post them tomorrow. We're really looking forward to seeing how the bines did this year, their second year!