Ramble On

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Up come the Fuggles @HawksbillHops


At Hawksbill Hop Yards, we planted five varieties for commercial purposes:  Cascade, Chinook, Columbus (we're calling it CTZ now), Fuggles, and Goldings.  After the planting event on May 2, I was waiting as patiently as I could for David to send news that something had broken ground - and I wondered which variety it was going to be.  
On Tuesday, a mere three days after they were planted, our first bine sprouted. It was a Fuggles, which caught me by surprise, because I was sure that one of the Cascades, which was predicted to be the most robust variety for our Virginia soils and climate, would be first.

There's always work going on at the farm, but on Saturday, May 9.  I'll post about those activities in a couple of days, but suffice it to say, in addition to getting this photo of one of the Fuggles (many more were up by then), I took a look around and could verify that all of our commercial varieties are up and out of the ground.

I would go as far as to say that there was noticeable growth from some of the plants during the 3 hours we spent in the field.  It was pretty amazing to see.

No comments: