Ramble On

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

New Market's Southern Kitchen


It's a treat from bygone days to encounter this little diner there on the US Highway just south of town. We've been coming here over the last year, as US 11 is one of our routes to H-burg when we are running errands. Plus, it's not too far from the Shenvallee Golf Course, and other attractions.



I've read some on-line reviews - mostly written by my fellow Northern Virginians, who must be passing through New Market in a hurry to get back home. So they don't take the time to appreciate the service or the home-cooked atmosphere.

I can't say we've ever been dissappointed with the freshly fried chicken, or the basic BLT or grilled cheese. Their sides are great, a wide range of choices, all southern cuisine. The signature dish is peanut soup - it's an acquired taste and not for everyone, but it is homemade and served with pride.


These are some interior photos that I hope will capture the atmosphere of the place. It's a great stop if you are passing through there.


By the way, the little wine rack on the counter is full of North Mountain Vineyards wine - I posted on them a while back.

2 comments:

Christa said...

I can remember as a child, my parents taking me to Southern Kitchen for Sunday dinner. There was another restaurant further north on Rt. 11 that we also went to called "Chicken in the Ruff", which I believe may have burned down.(I may be wrong about that) I now take my 4 year old grandson to Southern Kitchen for dinner or breakfast on the weekends when we have time. The Newland's have owned the restaurant forever. They also owned the best steak house in Harrisonburg back in the 60's/70's/80's called Lloyd's Steakhouse. There is another family owned restaurant south on Rt.11 towards Harrisonburg in a little community called Lacey Springs. The Blue Stone Inn is one of the best restaurants anywhere and the same family still owns and operates it. You may have already found this restaurant in your travels or even mentioned on this blog,but I wanted to mention it anyway. I enjoy your blog when I have time to read it!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tip on the Blue Stone Inn, Christa, and I am glad you're enjoying the blog. We'll make a point of finding the place and checking it out.