Ramble On

Monday, July 14, 2008

Hoppin' Toads

There is some unknown attraction our empty swimming pool holds for toads. Last year, there were several times I was exploring down there where I found juvenile amphibians hopping around - of course, once they're in, they can never get out...




So on Saturday, while we were waiting for the electrician, we enjoyed a cup of coffee on the brick terrace. I was concentrating on the hawks - apparently they hadn't left yet (and I hope to be able to post photos, but not from the phone cam), as I guessed they might last week; meanwhile, Mary was staring into the pool (note, later this week we will have a post on pool progress). "What is that, a toad?" she asked.





I told her, "Yeah, toads get in there all the time. I rescued a few last year."



"I'm going to check it out," she said.



Here is an action photo of Mary chasing the toad around the pool, followed by a photo of the first rescuee. Here also, it is worth noting the protective gear that she keeps around for such endeavors, these prophylactic gloves in particular. No warts for Mary!*



So after the first toad was freed, she came back up and had a sip from her cup. "Is that another one?" she soon asked.



"Plenty of toads around, Mary, so it certainly could be."



"I'm going back in to check it out."






And so, on Saturday she rescued two toads. After the rains on Sunday, I saw a couple more down there, different ones than the two she helped out. It is hard to figure out how they make their way up to the terrace and deck by the pool, and then how do they survive the fall into it? The pool is four feet deep at its shallowest.



* We know this is an old wives' tale. Mary is just sqeamish.

No comments: