Ramble On

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Uncle Bucks and Upper Hawksbill @ SNP

Yesterday I made my weekly trip out to the cabin to check progress and meet with the electrician – we’d been working with our GC Jesse to find someone we could work with to take care of a number of electrical issues. After meeting with them for an hour or so, I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and hike in the Shenandoah National Park (SNP).

First stop was Uncle Bucks – a little short order place in Luray, right on the main street there. Mary and I have been there a few times, starting from our first visit to the valley back in May. The cashier lives in Stanley, and the wait staff is friendly and chatty. After I had an omelet and a hand pressed sausage patty, while I was checking out I learned about a little country auction and decided to go check it out.

The location was a 12 acre property north of Luray – it turns out the property was one of the lots for sale. There were about a dozen farm and commercial vehicles for sale there, and another few personal cars. There were lots of personal items and a couple of house trailers. Two auctioneers worked the crowd. Also, there was a bunch of restaurant gear from an old barbecue place – including a huge pig sculpture and a couple of little concrete pig barbecue waiter sculptures. I just didn’t see anything of interest, so, no bid on this one.

After the auction, I drove up to SNP (http://www.nps.gov/shen/ ) to hike the upper trail to the summit of Hawksbill Mountain. There is a wikipedia page about the peak here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawksbill_Mountain . In the winter, with leaves down, we’ll be able to see the peak from the cabin - this photo is from the Wiki page.

I did a quick 2 hours out-and-back on the trail, stopped at the peak for 20 minutes and tried to figure out where the cabin is…looking southwest, towards Stanley, I didn't see it. I guess I’ll have to work on the orientation a bit more to figure out where the Hawksbill Cabin is located looking out into the valley from the peak….

No comments: