Ramble On

Monday, November 22, 2010

GWNF/Massanutten Fire - View from Stonyman

On Saturday afternoon I took a late drive up to the Park with the plan to take the short hike on Stonyman Mountain.

I've written about this pleasant hike a few times before; with the beautiful fall day we were having I expected crowds and my expectations were met.

However, there are still a couple of spots up there I know about that don't get so much foot traffic, including this one - the outcropping to the right is one that most people visit, I head on over to this one.

In the distance, you can see the fire that has been burning for about a week on Massanutten.  This fire is in the vicinity of Duncan Knob, and reports currently are describing the location as Duncan Hollow - but it definitely affects and threatens parts of Luray.

The paper says it appears to have started near one of the trails there, and that it is likely accidental.  But it has covered a couple of hundred acres already.

By Sunday, it seems to have burned down to a more manageable fire than it appeared in these last two posts, basically smoldering away.  I'll keep an eye out for news over the next few days.

No comments: